True to its social mandate of providing insurance protection  to qualified farmers and other agricultural stakeholders against losses of their crops arising from natural calamities, pests and diseases, and other perils beyond their effective control, the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation Region XI has awarded a total of Php 794,562.37 worth of indemnity checks to 124 borrowing and self finance farmers covering 286.22 hectares of Davao del Norte for the month of November 2011.

On November 22,2011 at the Felis Resort Complex in Davao City, a  total indemnity of Php 794,562.37 was awarded , 89.25% or Php 709,249.06 of which were paid to 104 borrowing farmers of various cooperatives and Irrigators Associations as DUFFAMCO, SVDC and DITCIA covering 245.07 hectares while the remaining 10.75% of the total amount or Php 85,313.31 were paid to 20 self finance farmers covering 41.15 hectares.  These palay crops were heavily damaged by flood/continuous rains, pests and diseases.

The awarding of indemnity checks was made by PCIC President Jovy C. Bernabe with the PCIC BOD for Mindanao Sector Dioscoro A. Granada and OIC/Regional Manager Bonifacio V. Pales of PCIC XI  with the assistance of DA RFU XI Regional Technical Director for Research Romulo Palcon and Provincial Agriculturist Ernesto Miro of the Province of Davao del Sur in the presence of   Brgy. Chairman/ABC President  Mila Lim of Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur and Brgy. Chairman Jimmy Poliquit of Dumalag, Davao City

 The Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation Region XI is heading for a major breakthrough in its Fisheries Insurance Program.

On November 22, 2011 the Punta Dumalag Fishcage Operators’ Association of Dumalag, Davao City and  the Tagabuli Fishcage Operators’ Association  of Tagabuli, Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur held a joint meeting at Felis Resort Complex, Davao City.

The meeting was centered on how to enhance the fishcage operators’ capacity to increase the present volume of production of milkfish by tapping the credit facilities of the Planters Bank with the  insurance protection to be extended by the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation under its Fisheries Insurance Program.  The PCIC President Jovy C. Bernabe, BOD Mindanao Sector Dioscoro  A. Granada and OIC/Regional Manager of PCIC RO XI Bonifacio V. Pales were present to address the concerns of the fishcage operators with regards the role of PCIC in providing the fisheries insurance coverage as collateral substitute  to credit availment with the Planters Bank represented by Jun Guerrero and Maynard Castillo.  The DA RFU XI was  represented by the Regional Technical Director for Research Romulo Palcon, BFAR  Technician Wilma Montojo and  the Provincial Agriculturist of Davao del Sur Ernesto Miro to lend full support to the ventures of the members of the fishcage operators.