GENERAL INFORMATION ON THE LIVESTOCK MORTALITY INSURANCE PROGRAM
The Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation (PCIC) provides insurance cover to livestock, such as: cattle, carabao, horse, swine, goat, sheep, poultry, and game fowls and animals.
- TYPES OF INSURANCE COVER
- Non-Commercial Mortality Insurance Cover for cattle, carabao, horse, swine, goat & sheep.
- Commercial Mortality Ins. Cover for cattle, carabao, horse, swine, goat & sheep and poultry.
- Special Cover for livestock dispersal.
- Special Cover for game fowls and animals such as fighting cocks and race horses.
- INSURANCE COVER
These policies cover death due to accidents, and/or diseases, and/or other covered risks affecting the livestock.
The following animals are insurable:
|Insurance||Animal||Purpose||No. of Heads/Birds per||Remarks|
|Cattle and||Draft,||2 to 10|
|Non-||Fattener||Max. total sum|
|insured of less than|
|P110,000 per farmer|
|Horse||Draft/Working||2 to 10|
|or P15,000 or less|
|Goat and||Breeder,||10 to 25||per head|
|Swine||Breeder||2 to 10|
|Fattener||7 to 20|
|Cattle and||Draft, Dairy,||11 and > (or at least one (1)|
|Carabao||Breeder,||animal involving coverage of|
|Fattener||at least P15,001)|
|Goat and||Breeder, Fattener||26 (minimum)||A minimum total|
|Sheep||sum insured of|
IV. INSURABLE AGE
|Cattle &||Draft, Dairy,||7 mos.||5 yrs.||Over 5 yrs. old can be covered subject to|
|Carabao||Breeder, Fattener||specific premium loading up to age 12 yrs.|
|Horse||Draft/Working||3 yrs.||5 yrs.||Over 5 yrs. old can be covered subject to|
|specific premium loading up to age 12 yrs.|
|Goat &||Breeder||4 mos.||1 yr.||Can be renewed annually up to 5 yrs. old|
|Sheep||Fattener||4 mos.||1 yr.||Until sold whichever comes earlier|
|Swine||Breeder||6 mos.||2 yrs.||Can be renewed up to 4 yrs. old|
|Fattener||50days||6 mos.||Until sold whichever comes earlier|
|Poultry||Broilers||1 day||8 wks.|
|Chicken||Pullets/Layers||1 day||75 wks.||Or insurable age could be agreed upon|
|Duck||Pullets/Layers||12 wks.||65 wks.||Or insurable age could be agreed upon|
V. SUM INSURED AND PREMIUM RATE
|Animal/||Age Upon||Sum Insured and Premium Rate as Percentage (% ) of||Deductible|
|Purpose||Acceptance||Sum Insured||% of Sum|
|Swine||See Sec. IV||P3,000-||P5,000-||P7,001-|
|Fattener||0.50%/mo.||10 to 20|
|Breeder||3.00-6.00||4.00-8.00||10 to 20|
|Goat&Sheep||See Sec. IV||P1,000||P2,500||P6,000|
|Buck-Breeder||10||10||10||10 to 20|
|Doe- Breeder||10||10||N.I.||10 to 20|
|Fattener||10||N.I.||N.I.||10 to 20|
1. For cattle, carabao, and horse: a. above premium rates are applicable for the first/initial coverage; b. For continued annual renewal of the policy (including those renewed within 30 days from date of expiry, up to the age of 12 years), the assured shall be entitled to the premium rate similar to that of the first/initial coverage, based on the age the animal was first insured; and c. However, if the renewal of the policy was beyond 30 days after the expiry of the policy, the premium rate to be applied shall be based on the age of the animal upon acceptance of the latest application. The coverage will then be treated as if accepted for the first time.
2.For swine -breeder: premium rates shall depend on: personnel handling and managing the animals including the presence of veterinary supervision or livestock inspector/technician, housing, animal husbandry practices, disease prevention and control program, and general health condition of the animals.
B. COMMERCIAL COVER
|Animal||Purpose||Sum Insured (P) per||Premium Rate as % of||Deductible|
|Head/Batch- poultry||Sum Insured (SI)||% of SI|
|Cattle &||Draft, Dairy,||10,000 to 15,000||5 to 7||10 to 30|
|Carabao||Breeder,||15,001 to 20,000||6 to 8||10 to 30|
|Fattener||20,001 to 25,000||7 to 9||10 to 30|
|25,001 to 30,000||8 to 10||10 to 30|
|30,001 to 50,000||Above 10% or as agreed||10 to 30|
|Swine||Breeder||5,000 to 7,000||3 to 6||10 to 20|
|7,001 to 10,000||4 to 8||10 to 20|
|Fattener||3,000 to 7,000||0.50 per month||10 to 20|
|Poultry||Broilers||Prevailing market price or as||1.75|
|Chicken||Pullets/||Prevailing market price or as||3.25 to 3.50 w/o cover for typhoon|
|Ducks||Layers||agreed upon||& flood or 3.50 to 4.00 including|
|cover for typhoon & flood|
- The above premium rates are subject to change by the PCIC
- The sum insured and premium rate for commercial cover of horse will be supplied by PCIC.
VI. COVERED RISKS
|Non-Commercial||Cattle||1.||Diseases like Liver fluke, Verminous Bronchitis,|
|Carabao||all other parasitic diseases, Leptospirosis,|
|Horse||Swine Enzootic Pneumonia, Colibacillosis,|
|Streptococcosis, Tetanus, Aflatoxicosis, Cancerous|
|Goat & Sheep|
|Diseases, Footrot, Rabies, Poisoning, Heat Stroke,|
|Heart Attack and all other diseases except those|
|appearing in the exclusions in the policy;|
|2.||Accidental drowning, strangulation, snakebites|
|and other events of accidental nature except|
|those caused by vehicular accidents;|
|3.||Fire and/or lightning;|
|4.||Dog bites (for goat and sheep only); and|
|5.||Accidents arising from the transport of animals to|
|and from the farm and place of treatment.|
|Commercial||Cattle||1.||All diseases covered in Non-Commercial Cover;|
|Carabao||2.||All accidents covered in Non-Commercial Cover|
|Horse||except for fire and lightning; and|
|3.||Accidents arising from the transport of animals to|
|Goat & Sheep|
|and from the farm and place of treatment.|
|Poultry||Catastrophic losses arising from death of birds due to|
|accidents and/or diseases.|
|(for extended coverage, please see Sec. VIII, No. 6|
|Special Cover||Livestock Dispersal||Same risks under non-commercial cover|
|Game fowls and||Same risks under commercial cover|
- Please see Section VIII for conditions for extended coverage.
- The parameters for special cover shall be defined/supplied by the PCIC RO.
VII. EXCLUDED RISKS – Commercial, Non-Commercial and Special Cover
- Destruction of the animals by administrative order of the government;
- Unskillful treatment by the animal raiser, his agent and employees, overloading, improper use, willful or malicious injury;
- Emergency slaughter/Government Slaughter Order;
- Pillage, strike, or other labor disputes, war, rebellion, insurrection and radioactive contamination;
- Disease/s or injuries already existing at the commencement of insurance or developing during the waiting period;
- Disappearance, theft, robbery, confiscation by order of the government;
- Earthquake, convulsions of nature, volcanic eruption, inundation, immolation, atmospheric disturbance, such as typhoon, hurricane, tornado & cyclone;
- Losses occurring prior to and after the effectivity period of insurance coverage;
- Losses due to mismanagement; and
- Other excluded risks:
|Cattle & Carabao||Anaplasmosis, Anthrax, Babesiosis, Blackleg, Hemorrhagic Septicemia,|
|Hoof and Mouth Disease, Johne’s Disease, Rinderpest, Leucosis, and|
|Horse||African Horse Sickness, Infectious Anemia, Racing and/or Participation in|
|Tournaments/Sports and Scab|
|Swine||Erysipelas, Hog Cholera, Hoof and Mouth Disease, Swine Plague, and|
|Poultry||Avian or Bird Flu, Mycoplasma spp. Infection, and Salmonella|
VIII. CONDITIONS FOR EXTENDED COVERAGE
Additional risks and certain excluded risks in the basic cover can be covered subject to the following conditions:
- All animals subject for coverage shall be personally inspected by the PCIC RO personnel
- All susceptible animals subject for coverage shall be vaccinated against epidemic diseases and a Veterinary Certificate to that effect shall be submitted to the PCIC RO.
- All losses caused by any epidemic disease, if covered, shall be indemnified at a maximum of sixty percent (60%) of the sum insured.
- There shall be an additional premium loading per disease for the following diseases:
|Animal||Type of Disease||Additional Premium per|
|Disease as % of Sum Insured|
|Cattle & Carabao||Contagious Bovine Pleuro-pneumonia||0.25|
|Hoof and Mouth Disease||0.25|
|Swine||Hoof and Mouth Disease||0.25|
- For transport risk – the transport insurance cover is optional and can only be provided as an addition to the basic cover and limited only to inland transport at a rate of 0.75% to 1.50%, depending on physical distance, time and road conditions, excluding risks associated with hijacking and theft.
- The following are additional conditions for extended coverage for poultry (please see other applicable conditions above):
- Catastrophic losses arising from death of birds, pullets, or layers due to accidents and/or diseases at all times, including epidemics, can be covered, provided that proper vaccination program has been carried out and a Veterinary Certificate about such vaccination has been submitted.
- Losses due to epidemic diseases, such as: Avian Diptheria, Avian Malaria, Avian Leucosis Complex, Avian Infectious Bronchitis, Coccidiosis, Escherichia Coli, Infectious Coryza, Infectios Bursal Disease, Marek’s Disease, Newcasttle Disease (NCD) and Tuberculosis can be covered, provided the insured broilers, pullets, layers are properly inoculated and vaccinated at proper times and all necessary preventive measures taken into consideration.
- Losses due to fire, lightning, typhoon and flood under commercial cover of cattle, carabao & horse are excluded in the basic cover but can be covered under special arrangement subject to additional premium, as follows:
|Animal||RISKS/PERCENTAGE (%) OF SUM INSURED|
|Fire & Lightning||Typhoon & Flood|
|Cattle & Carabao||0.50||0.50|
IX. WAITING PERIOD
The waiting period is the time elapsed between effectivity of the coverage and the time of occurrence of the disease within which no insurance compensation shall be paid. The waiting period shall not apply to losses due to accidents and for renewed policies. In general, the waiting period is TWENTY ONE (21) calendar days except for the following diseases which is THREE (3) months:
|Cattle, Carabao, Goat & Sheep||Leucosis, Liverfluke, Rickets and Verminous Bronchitis|
|Swine||Brucellosis, Leucosis, Rickets and Tuberculosis|
|Horse||Equine Encephalomyelitis, Hydrocephalus Tuberculosis and Rickets|
. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
The insurance client shall: a) submit filled out application form for PCIC Livestock Mortality Insurance, b) submit Veterinary Health Certificate as to the health of the animal, if required, and c) pay the corresponding premium and other charges, i.e., premium tax, cost of documentary stamps, etc. .
- ISSUANCE OF THE POLICY
For insurance business solicited/underwritten by the Insurance Underwriter (IU), Official Receipt shall be issued to the client by the IU upon receipt of insurance premium and other charges. Copy of Insurance Policy/Contract shall be immediately released by the RO to the client upon remittance of the premium and other charges by the IU to the RO Cashier.
XII. CLAIM FOR INDEMNITY PROCEDURE
- In case of death of the insured animal, the assured shall immediately send a pro-forma Notice of Loss (NL) to the PCIC RO within TEN (10) calendar days from the death of the insured animal. The NL can be in the form of telegram, fax, e-mail or any other form of written statement containing the name of the assured, address, policy no., livestock insured, cause of death, and date of the occurrence of death.
For purposes of reckoning the ten-day period, the official date of filing shall be:
- Date of mailing postmarked on the envelope, b) Date of transmission, if sent by telegram, fax or e-mail or c) Date of receipt by the PCIC RO, if by personal delivery
- Within THIRTY (30) calendar days from the death of the insured animal, the assured shall submit to the PCIC RO the following documents:
- Claim for Indemnity/Loss Report – this serves as the formal claim, if duly signed and accomplished by the assured; b) Veterinary Disease Report- duly accomplished and signed by the authorized veterinarian or LGU Livestock Inspector/Technician;
- Original Copy of the Certificate of Ownership/Transfer of Large Cattle or Certified machine copy of Memorandum Receipt for government dispersed animals;
- Livestock Death Certificate; e) Necropsy/Laboratory reports, if performed;
- Photographs of the dead animal/s showing clearly the identifying marks (eartags, earnotch, brand or tattoo); and g) Other documents as may be required by the PCIC such as affidavit of two disinterested parties.
For poultry, the following shall be submitted to the PCIC RO:
- a) Weekly Loss Report; b) Veterinary Report accomplished by his duly authorized veterinarian; c) Farm Management Chart or Daily Mortality Chart;
- d) Photographs of dead birds; and e) Pertinent proof of proceeds.
XIII. PERCENTAGE LOSS ASSESSMENT
|Insurance Cover||Animal-Purpose||Percentage (% ) Loss Assessment/Remarks|
|Cattle, Carabao, Swine-||100% of sum insured, less applicable deductible and|
|Goat & Sheep-breeder|
|Non-Commercial||Swine-fattener||100% of the value of animal at the time of loss, based|
|on the table of assessment less applicable deductible|
|and salvage value|
|Goat & Sheep-fattener||90% of the value of the animal at the time of loss, less|
|applicable deductible and salvage value|
|Cattle, Carabao, ,||Maximum of 100% of sum insured less applicable|
|Swine, Goat & Sheep||deductible and salvage value|
|Horse||80% of the actual cash value of the insured animal|
|at the time of loss but not to exceed 80% of the sum|
|Poultry||Indemnity shall be based on the remaining loss after|
|deduction of the policy deductible|
|All animals||Deductible shall be reckoned on a per farm per event|
|basis on varying percentages depending on type of|
|animal and cause/nature of loss|
XIV. PAYMENT OF CLAIM
The claim shall be settled expeditiously not later than forty-five (45) calendar days from receipt of complete claim documents.
- FINALITY OF PCIC DECISION ON CLAIMS
Unless proven otherwise, PCIC decision on claim settlement is final and unappealable sixty (60) calendar days after the release of indemnity payment or transmittal of the notice of disapproval.
You can download PDF here